Founders' Message

Dear Education without Borders Supporter,

Education without Borders (EwB) is 18 years old. When you’re 18, the world lies open for you. You will live forever and you’re now ready to do what you’ve always wanted to do. If EwB were to enter into that dream-like state, it would wish to create a world where every single child in the world has a chance to grow to 18, to have a supportive family, a safe environment, food, schooling and then the opportunity to choose what to do with the rest of their life.

This is not the reality in marginalized communities where discrimination, poverty, abuse, violence, hunger and limited educational opportunities have beaten young people into a state of hopelessness and despair.

EwB wants to plant a seed of hope by providing as many young persons as possible with strong basic skills in literacy and numeracy. It wants to do this with the help of older youth who have risen above similar circumstances incorporating curriculum and training from experienced teachers.

 In 2019, EwB is present at four sites in South Africa, reaching a few hundred learners through all grades.

 Our latest site is in Bellville South and we continue to partner with community organizations and schools. We fund these programs by appealing for donations and organizing Film Festivals.

In 2019, we were proud to introduce the 1st Sydney South African Film Festival joining the 9th Vancouver and 5th Toronto South African Film Festivals.

Although 90% of our funds support programs in South African township schools, the remaining 10% funds Indigenous youth programs in Canada.

We have also assisted two African countries (Liberia and Sierra Leone) to start Literacy programs.

Will you help us celebrate our 18th year? Will you help more children dream?

As always, we thank you for your ongoing and cherished support. 

Yours in education,

Cecil and Ruth Hershler (on behalf of the entire EwB Team)

Education without Borders

4490 West 1st Ave,

Vancouver, BC V6R 4J4


Phone: (+1) 604 224 3077

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

Get Our Newsletter

Quick Links

© 2020 Education without Borders